Sunday, September 13, 2009

Wood Badge Song, Back to Gilwell, Happy Land

Back to Gilwell, happy land; I'm going to work my ticket
if I can.

I used to be a beaver, and a good old beaver too;
But now I've finished beavering, I don't know what to do.
I'm growing old and feeble and I can beaver no more;
So I'm going to work my ticket if I can.
Back To Gilwell, happy land; I'm going to work my ticket if I can.

Beavers, Bobwhites, Eagles, Foxes, Owls, Bears, Buffaloes, Antelopes, Ravens, Crows, Wolves, Hawks, Carsons, Bridgers, Clarks, Boones, and Staffers, too!)

Back To Gilwell, happy land; I'm going to work my ticket if I can.
He used to be a staffer, and a good old staffer too.
But now he's finished staffing, we know what we must do.
His staffing days are over, and he can staff no more.
So we're going to work his ticket if we can.
Back to Gilwell, number one; we're going to work his ticket 'till it's done.

The last verse is called the Burnham Patrol Verse. This verse is dedicated to the memory of Green Bar Bill Hillcourt. It was written and introduced at Wood Badge course NE-IV-64 held at the Hawk Mountain Scout Reservation in 1993 by the Course Scoutmaster, Earl P. Moyer, a Clark.

The cartoon is by Sal Sepulveda, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment