Friday, September 11, 2009

Paychecks of the Wood Badge Kind


So I'm standing in line at the local supermarket yesterday,
and this elderly gentleman (well into his 80s at least) shuffles up behind me with a walker and a caregiver following him. Appears to be a stroke victim - his right side isn't working well, and when I say hello, he's got some severe aphasia issues. Quite frankly, it was a monument to his determination that he was even on his feet and not in a wheelchair.

He looks at my shirt with the Wood Badge logo on it, spends a few seconds focusing and thinking, and finally breaks out in a smile and slowly says "I know that... badge... It..means you... do....... important work... for the future.."

'Nuff said. (Valdis Kletnieks to Scouts-L, Aug. 12, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment